Governor Robert Bentley signed The Jason Flatt Act on May 10, 2016 – Alabama (SB11) into law, making Alabama the 18th state to pass The Jason Flatt Act since 2007.
The Jason Flatt Act
Effective May 10, 2016
The Bill was sponsored by Senator Gerald Allen of Alabama Senate District 11.
Major components of the legislation are:
- Amend Section 16-26B-8, Code of Alabama 1975.
- The Department of Education shall adopt rules to require that all certificated public school personnel receive annual training in suicide awareness and prevention.
- The Department of Education will develop a list of approved training materials to fulfill the requirements of the act which may include training materials currently being used by a local school system if such training materials satisfy the criteria established by the department.
- This training may be provided within the framework of existing in service training programs or as a part of required professional development offered by the local school system. Approved materials may include programs that can be completed through self-review of suitable suicide prevention materials.
- Each local school system shall adopt a policy on student suicide prevention. The polices shall be developed in consultation with school and community stakeholders, school employed mental health professionals, and suicide prevention experts, and, at a minimum, shall address procedures relating to suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention.
- This act shall become effective on the first day of the third month following its passage and approval by the Governor, or its otherwise becoming law.
Each of The Jason Foundation Staff Development Modules has been developed to meet a two-hour continuing education requirement for suicide awareness and prevention program. Before completing any suicide awareness training program, please check with your State Board of Education, State Teacher Certification Board or school superintendent to determine that the program meets the requirements for your State.
You will be eligible to receive your certificate once all chapters of a module have been viewed and you have successfully completed the quiz that follows.